May 22, 2011

ATDR at Yesterday's Arthritis Walk

QUOTE OF THE DAY:




"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made."


~~ M. Acklam




(cactus flower in Aunt Judy's yard)


Early Friday morning........




"Hey Mona, where we going?" (yawning)


"To the groomer, Weenie"


"But why? I'm not dirty. I wanna go back to sleep!"


"Because tomorrow is a big day. We have to look good for the Arthritis Walk."


"I don't wanna go. That mean man that was there last time will put me in a cage all by myself. I wanna stay with you"


"Hush little man, Miss Lilly, took care of all that last time. Come on you can sleep in the car!"




Mona here........



My silly brother has a memory like an elephant. He never forgets a thing. I keep trying to tell him that Miss Lilly promised to make sure we will always be put in the same crate together. Cage is such a nasty word, don't you think?



So off we went. Miss Lilly is so sweet but I think she likes Weenie best. She talked to him every time she came by our crate and even brought him a treat or do.



"Tell the truth Monie, she gave you treats too."



OK, I admit she gave me a treat or two but she didn't kiss me every time she walked by like she did my brother.




Mommy took this picture of me and Miss Lilly when she came to pick us up after work. I wouldn't give her a kiss. Shame on me!!
The finished look. Can you tell my hair is growing back?
Mommy took this picture of Weenie too. Look at him giving Miss Lilly a kiss. Told you she likes him best!
The finished look. Kinda handsome don't you think?







Before we get to the walk, we gotta show you this little girl. She looks like a kitty. Maybe she thought she was going to a kitty costume party. She must like dogs because she fell in love with Weenie and cried when she found out he couldn't see her.




2011 BAY AREA ARTHRITIS WALK



So here are some the walkers coming back from the 3 mile course. As you can see there were a few others dogs besides us dachshunds there but not too many. Turned out that ATDR & DROH were the only rescue groups that were there. They said it was because so many dachshunds have Arthritis too. Sophie the mascot for the walk, walked most of the walk with her Mommy, Suzanne.





Here is the ATDR booth. Mommy and Bill stayed at the booth to make sure all our non walking dogs didn't have to stay alone. I walked about half way with Jennifer and when Bailey, one of our seniors wanted to walk, Jennifer took her out of the stroller and then I road in the stroller for the last part. I was tuckered out so I took a nap. Weenie was supposed to ride in a stroller but he didn't want to leave Mommy. He's a Mommy's boy you know!



Some ATDR volunteers.



Bill, Jennifer's Dad.

Dianna & her dog Ozzie.
Susan, Jennifer's Mom and Fresno.


The dogs of ATDR



Waiting to be petted.
Sophie, the Arthritis Walk mascot.
Tag, a very old senior but she road in a stroller and chilled.
Two sleepy heads after the walk.
Sharon's feet with her dogs Gretchen & Hope.
Two silver dapples.
OK.....now for some special doggies.



This is Sam, Jennifer's little man. Sam loves water. On the walk they went through a neighborhood, where a lady was filling her bird bath and watering her flower beds and Sam jumped right into the water. He is very talented and likes to drink out of a water hose whenever his Mom is watering her yard.



Look closely at the the next two pictures. Sometimes us dachshunds don't know when to stop barking, so Jennifer was using a spray bottle with water to get our attention and Sam was trying to catch the water in his mouth. Pretty impressive but I got him beat as you will see when it's my turn.


This is Munch, Aunt Brinda's little wirehair, that looks so much like my Tiger. He is special to Mommy because he's a wirehair and he's special to me because I can pretend he's my Tiger. Be still my heart!!


This is Elliott, another one of Aunt Brinda's little boys. He is a chocolate doxie and is one of Mommy's favorites because he looks like Jody. Me and Mommy both miss Jody so much!!

No prize but can you guess who Munch and Elliott are named after. Mommy had no clue but then she doesn't watch the show they are in.
No introduction necessary here. Aunt Judy's Brooklyn and Bandit. Brookie is an attention getter. So many people think she is one of the cutest and smallest dogs they have ever seen. So many people said they came over to our booth because they had never seen such a pretty dog.


The best seat in the house & Aunt Judy pulling Weenie, Brooklyn & Bandit.

Now for me!! Mommy let me wear my new dress that Lorenza's Grandma made for me, but only so our volutneers could see what it looks like. But I switched to a harness after I pranced around awhile. Mommy said she wants to keep in clean for the 2011 Reliant Dog Show coming in July so I can wear it in the kissing booth.
Now let me show you what I can do. Who needs a water dish. All I have to do is tell Mommy I need a drink.....
and drink right from the bottle.

Now for me, Weenie!! My vest that Lorenza'a Grandma made me is too big but my Aunt Judy is gonna take it up for me. My Sissy is gonna teach me how to work the kissing booth at the Reliant dog show and that's what I'm gonna wear. I tell you I'll have to fight the girls off with a stick but if you read this, my darling Shelby and Milly, it won't mean a thing becuase my hear belongs to you two alone, besides Mommy of course. So I wore my Texas A&M harness and cap.






Mommy here.....



One last picture of my very special boy. So many people were amazed that he was blind. This event was his first and he did a good job representing the dachshund breed. Bill, Jennifer's Dad, kept telling people disabled dogs, like Wennie, can be just as loving and playfull as a fully sighted dog and that they desearve a chance in life. ATDR has blind, deaf, crippled dogs in carts and dogs with terrible physical and emotial scars and they all are each and every one special. M Weenie has made such a difference in my life and Mona's too!





One final thing, be ya thought this post was never gonna end! Aunt Judy found this combination waggon stroller that came in handy carting tired pups around yesterday after the walk......



it even has a little bumper car attached!!



{{huggies}}....Mona & Weenie



PS.....spellcheck quit working so Mommy says sorry but she's too tired to care.

9 comments:

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

We are so glad that this trip to the groomer went so much better for Weenie. And Mona, Miss Lilly better give you treats too.

Great day for the Arthritis Walk - love that wagon, but we don't think we would fit.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

Pei In The Life said...

You look very pretty Miss Mona. That looks like a great wagon. I'm not sure that I'd be comfortable in it, but those doggies sure look happy!

Bolo

Cupcake said...

It's so great to see all the dogs and volunteers.

That wagon stroller is fantastic! I'm sure the dogs loved it.

Mona, you look so beautiful in your dress!!

Love, Cupcake

Two French Bulldogs said...

A fun event...whoa.
Snuggless,
Benny & Lily

Hannalei said...

Be still my heart you luck wee Weens. To be able to pal around with so many other lovely Weens. Oh so lucky. No meetups here close enough to be had. Looks like such a fun day all around. :)

sprinkles said...

You two are always doing such fun things like this! I wish we had more pet related things like this in town.

We used to have a dog walk to support the Humane Society but I guess they decided they didn't raise enough money from it to continue it. What's really sad is that they really built it up quite a lot and the last year they did it, they had a ton of participants.

I love your dress and vest, Lorenza's mom did a great job on them!

Amber-Mae said...

What what a super awesome event & I LOVE that little cart/bumper car thingy!!!

Angel Ginger Jasper said...

It looks like a realy fun day ans I love that waggon with you all getting a ride. I think that being blind will have made all your other senses extra good and you will know that there is so mucch love around you.. Lovely post with all the pictures.. Hugs GJ xx

A MilShelb Mom said...

We are so mad. We just posted this awesome comment and it didn't post. Ugh.

Anyhow, we were saying that we love Weenie- blind or not and we are so glad that you and your Mom love him, too!

Also, we think the cart is super cool, but Mom says we wouldn't ride in it and we agree because we hate anything with wheels... no matter what it is- strollers, bikes, trash cans, cars... you name it. If it has wheels we will bark at it!
~Milly and Shelby
ps- Tell Weenie to save some for those kisses for us! :)