May 6, 2013

Happy Monday -- Sago Palm Warning and Your Daily Dose of Paxton

QUOTE OF THE DAY: 



Happy Monday..........




Dearest friends,

We wanted to start this post off with something cute but we don't really feel like smiling. Something tragic has happened to one of our own.



As most of you will remember, last year DWB held Safety Week and Mona hosted Poisonous Plant Safety. One of the most poisonous plants she talked about was the Sago Palm, like these below.



Some facts about..........Sago Palms

Poisonous to: Cats, Dogs
Level of toxicity: Severe
Common signs to watch for:
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Inappetance
  • Abnormal fluid accumulation in the abdomen
  • Abdominal pain
  • Jaundice
  • Black-tarry stool

 Sago palms are naturally found in tropical/subtropical environments; they are also used as ornamental Bonsai houseplants. These palms are members of the Order Cycadacae; genera Cycads, Macrozamia, and Zamias. Examples of the cycad family include Cycad (Cycas cirinalis), Japanese cycad (Cycad revolute), Coontie plant (Zamia pumila), and Cardbord palm (Zamia furfuracea). All parts of sago palm are considered poisonous, with the seeds (nuts) being the most toxic part of the plant. Sago palm contains cycasin, which is the primary active toxic agent resulting in severe liver failure in dogs. Ingestion results in acute gastrointestinal signs (e.g., drooling, inappetance, vomiting, diarrhea) within 15 minutes to several hours after ingestion. Central nervous system signs (e.g., weakness, ataxia, seizures, tremors, etc.) and severe liver failure can be seen within 2-3 days post-ingestion. Clinical signs include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, inappetance, abnormal fluid accumulation in the abdomen, abdominal pain, jaundice, and black-tarry stool. Aggressive decontamination and treatment should be initiated. Even with aggressive treatment, the survival is about 50%.

If you suspect your dog or cat ate sago palm, call your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline immediately for life-saving treatment recommendations.

Pet Poison Helpline is a 24-hour animal poison control service available throughout the U.S., Canada, and the Caribbean for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet. We have the ability to help every poisoned pet, with all types of poisonings, 24 hours a day. 

It was with much sadness that I learned last week of the death of one of DROH's recently adopted dogs from ingesting part of a Sago Palm.



Flicka "Summer"
Deceased 05/02/13

We lost Summer this evening to Sago Palm poisoning. My heart hurts so much. I am so sorry we couldn't save her. It's been a hard couple of weeks...especially for our Summer girl. She was so spunky, so loving, so playful chasing the squeaky rubber hamburger, being Houdini dog escaping the yard to run on the golf course, napping on the big bed. So cute with such a cute face. She had a hard life before her rescue and heartworm treatment. We were her forever home but only for 5 months. I'm so sorry......written by her furever Mom.


Please, please be aware of the danger of these plants.
They should be ripped out of your yard, if there is any chance a dog or cat can get to them. They are beautiful but not worth the price. 

Now on a happier note.

Here is your daily dose of Paxton...........

Brothery love.....
 Pax, George and Puff


God Bless............the Mommy 

11 comments:

GOOSE said...

I am so sorry for this loss. I don't think we have those around where I live. But I will keep a look out.
Blessings,
Goose

Dip-Dip and the Bridge said...

There are many plants out there that are poisoness to cats and dogs, it is quite scary. Thanks for drawing our attention to this one.
We think Paxton is going to be a dog lover when he grows up :)
Dip Bridge and Elliot x

Lovable Lily said...

Thanks for warning us about the Sago Palms! We did not know that they were poison. We have a ton of them here in our yard but are out of our reach since we are fenced in. We're so sorry to hear about little Summer. How devastating!

We also didn't know about the Pet Poison Hot Line. Mommy will have to look that number up and program it into all the phones.

And on to a happier note, look at Paxton grow! He's a cutie fur sure.

Hugs,
Lily Belle & Muffin

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

We are SOOOOO sorry to hear this about Summer. SAGO PALMS are DEADLY and Should NOT even be SOLD butt they are and with ABSOLUTELY NO WARNING on them .

Two French Bulldogs said...

Oh no, so sorry. Thanks for the info
Benny & Lily

stellaroselong said...

We don't have those trees here cos we live in Antarctica sometimes but thank you for sharing your reminder post about what plants our humans have around us furkids. We are so sorry to read about their loss.
stella rose

Sarge said...

Oh, I'm so very sad to hear about Summer. At least there were 5 wonderful months in a loving forever home. Great warning and thanks for getting the bark out about that plant.
Grr and a Sorrowful Woof,
Sarge, COP

Casey said...

How sad!! Run free, Summer. Your poor family misses you. :(

chicamom85 said...

I am so sorry to read about Summer. We don't have anything like that here, but that is great information. Thank you for ending on such a beautiful and happy note.


Loveys Sasha

Mr. Pip said...

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I had no idea about Sago Palms ...so scary that these plants are sold without warning.

Your pal, Pip

Cupcake said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Summer. Very, very sad.

Love, Cupcake