May 13, 2012

A MOTHER'S DAY STORY

QUOTE OF THE DAY:

""'A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie"." 

Author: Tenneva Jordan

The Mommy here......

My Mona and Weenie have given me the one thing that matters most to me for Mother's Day.....their  LOVE. I need nothing more.

I would like to share a story about my Mother. 
 
MAMA RICCA

My mother was the sweetest and kindest woman in the world. She loved her girls with a passion and we could do no wrong in her eyes. It wasn't just us girls but all children. Mama couldn't stand to see a child being neglected, so she began taking in neighborhood kids that needed a little extra love and attention. Many were children of single mothers or just kids dumped like rubbish on our Catholic church's doorsteps. I remember many nights going to bed with my sister, Pam, and waking up with another child in bed with us. There was a room at the back of our house that was wall to wall beds with just a little space to walk between the beds. It was my favorite room in the house. It was a place of magic, where all the kids whispered secrets and told scary stories and knew they were all safe. 

I guess Mama was what now is called a foster. The church would call Mama and ask her if she had room for "    another one"     and  she never ever said no. Daddy would say he never knew how may kids he'd come home too after work and fuss about how hard it was to feed 4 kids much less the whole neighborhoods. Being a good proper Italian family, you didn't eat supper until the head of the family, the father came home. I was around 6 years old or so when I remember Daddy saying "''We can't be  feeding all these kids all the time"  , then sitting  down at the table with all those other kids hanging back. Then Daddy said ''""""What are you kids doing, come sit down, it's time to eat!" 

So my mother & father became Mama & Papa Ricca to all the kids that came to their door. Some would stay overnight while their mothers worked,  some a few days, a few weeks or however long it took. Some never left. The only son Daddy ever had was a boy, named Richard, that Mama took in when he was 3 years old and stayed when his birth mother never came back.


Sometimes I think back on those days so long ago and wonder why my Mother did what she did. She had a heart as big as Texas and I am proud to have been her daughter.





Mona & Weenie here.....

Mommy is crying now, so we are taking our blog back. Mama Ricca left Mommy in 1986 less than 13 months after Papa Ricca died. They had been married 44 years and had 4 girls of their own and helped raise so many children Mommy can't even remember how many. Yesterday Mommy saw a story that touched her heart and thought what better way to show ""A Mother's Love" Click on the link below.

http://now.msn.com/now/0510-mom-baby-disabilities-video.aspx?ocid=todnow11



                                 Happy Mother's Day

          from Mona, Weenie and the Mommy

15 comments:

Millie and Walter said...

Wow! Your mom sure was a special lady. Happy Mother's Day to you too.

Cindy

Cupcake said...

Your Mom was an incredible person. She had so much love. Everyone who reads your blog knows that you too have a heart as big as Texas. What a wonderful gift from your Mom. I'd love for you to do a post sometime about how Mama and Papa Ricca met and fell in love.

Love, Cupcake

GOOSE said...

What an incredible woman.
Happy Mother's day to your mom.
Blessings,
Goose

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Your Mommy always has great stories about her Mom. We hope you and she have a very special day today.

Happy Mother's Day!

Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Your Mommy always has great stories about her Mom. We hope you and she have a very special day today.

Happy Mother's Day!

Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

K9 Katastrophie said...

Mama Ricca sounds like an incredible woman! And she was very beautiful! We watched that movie about Christian. What a heart-wrenching and heart-warming story. God bless Christian and his mommy! Thanks for sharing! Happy Mother's day!

Love,
Ruthie

Pee.s. My mommy is crying too!

A MilShelb Mom said...

Happy Mother's Day to your Mom!
~Milly and Shelby

Finn said...

That brought a tear to my eye! I am going to tell my Momma that I am proud to be her daughter too. So lovely.

Molly the Airedale said...

Your mom was one special lady, Miss Sarah. Happy Mother's Day to you!

Love ya lots,
Mitch and Molly

The Websters said...

Wow! Your moms mom sounds like an incredible lady. Thanks for sharing that story.

Nora

Unknown said...

Happy Mothers day to your Mom! this is a great tribute to all mothers :D



Dog Shock Collar | Puppy & Human Bond

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Beautiful memories
Happy Mothers Day
love
tweedles

Two French Bulldogs said...

What a nice tribute to mom
Benny & Lily

Ziggy Stardust said...

Happy Mothers Day to your wonderful Mommy. What a beautiful story, thank you for sharing.

Loveys Sasha

sprinkles said...

Your mama's mama sounds like an amazing woman!

I hope you'll join me for my annual Doggone Dog Swap!