April 22, 2012

PANCREATITIS

QUOTE OF THE DAY:

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly dog."


~~Edward Hoagland Wennie here.......For those of you who wondered if I'd had a run in with a shunk, the answer is NO. It's worse than that. If it was just a shunk, I could just take a tomatoe juice bath or something. I vomited all over the bed, Mommy & Sissy Tuesday night. I even have to say myself, that it stunk. I hadn't been my usual happy self for several days. I was lethargic, sleeping alot, whinning alot and was drinking lots of water. Mommy said she knew something was wrong when I didn't want her to pick me up and lay on her shoulder. I'm not called the VELCRO dog for nothing. I hadn't been Mommy's "HAPPY LITTLE FELLA" for a week or so and so she took me to see Dr Briles yesterday. Thank goodness, my Mona went to confort me. Now all of you know me and Dr Briles are buddies and Miss Cheryl, my nurse, loves me but THEY TORTURED ME YESTERDAY. They had to give me a SHOT with a long needle and told Mommy that it was gonna hurt and it would burn going in. She was holding me cause they had just given me a whole bag of IV fluid and I was scared. I was Ok with the IV, even though I puffed up like a balloon and they had to move the needle twice. Then came the shot, OMD, I screamed like a bunch of banshees was chasing me, Mommy started crying and Mona tried to hid under the bench. I almost leeped off the exam table and almost knocked Mommy over. Just thinking about it makes me want to cry. I'm gonna show you some pictures first and then let Mommy tell ya about what they are calling PANCREATITUS.
(Mommy trying to hold onto me after the shot)
(Mona trying to hid under the bench. She was crying too and shaking like a leaf.)
(Miss Cherly getting ready to give me my IV. Notice my ear. Mommy thought it was cute. I DIDN'T!)

( My Mona, comforting me. My Sissy is so sweet.)
"Come on Mommy!! I've had enough."
(In the car on the way home.)
(Finally home)

The Mommy here.....

Yesterday, I decided to take Weenie to the Vet because he hasn't been his self. Besides the vomiting, only once that I saw, and drinking excessive aounts of water, he has been lethargic and seemed disoriented. Weenie is what I call my "Velcro Dog" and he hasn't wanted me to touch him. That was what made me decide to take him to see Dr Briles. Thank God I did, because we caught this in time, we think. The diagnosis is Pancreatitus, a cousin of Cushings, according to an article I read. Here is part of the artcle that scared me:

Pancreatitis in Dogs: Symptoms and Treatments

Pancreatitis is inflammation and swelling of the pancreas. It can occur in a mild or severe form. The cause of spontaneous pancreatitis in dogsis not well understood. Dogs taking corticosteroids are at increased risk. There is a higher incidence of pancreatitis in dogs with Cushing’s syndrome, diabetes mellitus, hypothyroidism, and idiopathic hyperlipemia (a disease of Miniature Schnauzers). These diseases are associated with high serum lipid levels. Pancreatitis is also more prevalent in overweight spayed females and dogs on high-fat diets. An attack may be triggered by eating table scraps or a fatty meal.
Acute pancreatitis is characterized by the abrupt onset of
vomiting and severe pain in the abdomen. The dog may have a tucked-up belly and assume a prayer position. Abdominal pain is caused by the release of digestive enzymes into the pancreas and surrounding tissue. Diarrhea, dehydration, weakness, and shock may ensue.

It is so confusing and heartbreaking. I've been so worried about Mona and her Cushings and now Weenie has to go through this. It's bad enough the little fella is blind. When Weenie had his annual in February, Dr Briles said then , that it was very possible that due to Weenie's age and his already nerveous stomack that he could get Cushings. Pancreatitus was not expected.

I am not good at waiting for test results so I am thankful that Dr Briles has his own diagnostic laboratory and we got the results and started treatment right away. There is a test called a CPL Pancreatitis Snap Test that indicates if that is the problem. I don't understand technecial stuff when I'm panic stricken but for dummieds like me .... A dark blue reading means it's acute and a light blue means it's just starting and treatable. Weenie's was light blue.

You have already heard from Weenie about THE SHOT. I felt like I was getting it too. I have never heard a scream like that before and it tore into my heart to hear it. Nobody wants to hear their baby scream like that.


His lab work showed that his PLT, ALKP and LIPA & CI were slightly high but his LIPA was 3864 with normal being 200 - 1800. He was given a bag of IV fluid and then THE SHOT of Cerenia and has to take a liguid version every 12 hours for vomiting for 14 days. He is also taking Metronidazole, a liquid, every 12 hours for diarrhea for 10 days and Amoxocillin, an antibotic for infection for 4 days.

He never lost his appetite but can't eat again until Monday night. Both Mona & Weenie think they are being starved as it is. It's cruel I know, because he can't jump, but I've been leaving him in the recliner while Mona eats. She eats so fast anyway so he's up there less than 5 minutes.

I want to thank Linda, Amber DeWeenie's Mom, for hearing me out yesterday and the kid's Aunt Judy, who used to be a lab techician, for explaining what the test results mean. It all went in one ear and out the other when Dr Briles showed me the test results.

I didn't mean to rattle on like this. Please forgive me.

Just now, as I was typing this post, Weenie was doing what he likes best, ROACHING, his playing again is a good sign, isn't it? He must be feeling better. I didn't grab the camera fast enough to catch it but I did take a small video to share of Weenie and my sweet Mona who hasn't left his side since we got back home from the vet. I picked a Smilebox about dogs trying to chear up a dog. The music made me smile.

God Bless and please keep the little fella in your thoughts and prayers.........The Mommy, Sarah

PS.........He must be feeling a little better cuase he's back to being my Velcro dog today.









Click to play this Smilebox greeting
Create your own greeting - Powered by Smilebox
This free digital greeting generated with Smilebox

19 comments:

Millie and Walter said...

So sorry to hear that Weenie was not feeling well, but glad to hear he seems to be on the mend already. Keeping paws and fingers crossed here for a full recovery.

Cindy & Nina

Angels Amber and Max DaWeenie and Mom said...

We were all headed to bed early butt just had to stop furst and check on my wittle Weenie! So Hap-pee dat you is feelin lots better.

Love,
Amber

Lorenza said...

I hope the meds work very fast for your Weenie!
I know Mona and the Mommy are taking good care of you.
Just be patient and you will be like new in no time!
Paws crossed here for you!
Take care
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

The Websters said...

OH my word. That is very very scary. We are so sorry for both mommy and Weenie!

Your vet sounds so wonderful and we're so glad it was caught early. Please keep us posted as we are praying for a full recovery and for Weenie to be back to his same ol' self as soon as possible.

xoxo,

Nora

Linda said...

Thank goodness your mommy is so smart to take you to the DR's.
We got prayers headed your way.
Get lots of rest and take your med's.
Cinnamon

Dachshund Nola said...

Oh no! Poor baby, paws crossed

Cupcake said...

Weenie,

I'm so sorry you had to get that shot. My mommy got so sad reading how it hurt you. I know that your The Mommy and Mona are taking wonderful care of you. Get well soon.

Love, Cupcake

Two French Bulldogs said...

Paws crossed for you Weenie..
Snuggles
Benny & Lily

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Weenie, we are so sorry to hear about you being so sick. We hope the shot will help you feel better soon.

Very interesting post. Mom did not know about the link between Cushings and pancreatitis and hypothyroidism. The vet suspects chronic pancreatitis in Phantom or possibly chronic IBD. We didn't know about that snap test - Mom will have to look into that.

Thanks for the post and please feel better, Weenie.

Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tweedles -- that's me said...

Weenie
I am so sorry that you are not feeling good! I will keep postive healing thoughts coming to you in magic bubbles.
love
tweedles

Molly the Airedale said...

My paws are crossed for you, Weenie. Stay close to him, Mona!

Love ya lots,
Mitch

3 doxies said...

Oh my word! Poor Weenie and mommy! I am so glad dat you caught dis in time. You knew sumptin was off cuz you knows your dogs so well.
I feels so terribles fur Weenie. I can say, when a doggie has tummy problems, if they eat it will tear their tummies up worser. Our doc had a conversation withs mum bouts dis and I thoughts I was gonna pass out listenin'.
We is sendin' lots and lots of good vibes and healin' thougths to Weenie...and to da Mommy.

Puddles

Agnes B. Bullock said...

Thank heaven it is treatable! Call me if you need ANYTHING! Linda has been a rock for me also this [ast weekend- and with all she has going on too! (Just like the Furst Mom of Blogville, Lana!)

Dexter said...

Oh no , little Weenie! I am sure you were very brave at the vet, but sometimes things do hurt even when they will make us better later. I am keeping you in my Relentlessly Huge thoughts today.

Slobbers,
Mango

Ziggy Stardust said...

Weenie, I am so sorry and am crossing paws and sending my best loveys and hugs and magic bubbles. I am glad you are snugging today and I hope tomorrow you feel much much better. I am also sorry about the ouchy shot. Yowza, it scared me just reading about it.

Loveys Sasha

Scooter said...

Oh Weenie, I'm so sorry you have a bout of the sickies. I'm sure the dogtor visit will help...they just aren't any fun. I'm sending you my strongest of healing vibes.
Grr and Woof,
Sarge, COP

A MilShelb Mom said...

Weenie,
We are thinking of you and praying for you! We hope you are back to yourself soon!
~Milly and Shelby

Jed and Abby in MerryLand said...

Weenie, we are so sorry you had what sounds like an acute episode of pancreatitis. We sure hope you get better soon. Abby has chronic pancreatitis; we've been living with it for over 7 years. You're going to have to permanently change your diet, but it's doable. It took us almost a year to find the right balance for Abby, but she's mostly symptom free now, with only occasional, mild flare-ups. Most important is a LOW FAT diet the rest of your life, and that includes ALL treats. Not too much protein, either. It took a while to find the kibble that worked for Abby; the RX diet from the vet did not work for her.

Hang in there, little Weenie. You can get through this and have a good life. Incidently, Abby's lipase is chronically in the 2600 - 3000 range, but with careful management of her diet, she's doing just fine.

Jed & Abby