April 14, 2012

ATDR MARCH ADOPTIONS & A SPECIAL TITANTIC DEDICATION

QUOTE OF THE DAY:



"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do." ~~Edward Everett Hale




Today's post is to highlight the 20 lucky dachshunds that found their forever homes during March, icluding 2 senior dogs. 100 years ago a tragic event took place. The Titanic hit an iceberg in the Atlantic and sunk with many lives lost. Aboard the Titanic there were 12 dogs and of those only 3 survived. Please go visit Scout & Freyla's blog @ http://lovingforaliving.blogspot.com/ where Ms Mimi has posted the story of the "Dogs of the Titanic". Mommy cried and you will too, because it is so sad.

(Painting of the Titanic done as she was leaving the harbour)

This post is dedicated to 2 victims of the Titanic. One was JAMES CLINCH SMITH, a lawyer, who helped save women and children and then gave his place up in a lifeboat to go below deck to try to save the dogs of the Titanic. His body was never recovered. Mommy says she thinks he must have been quite a man to willingly die for US. The word that came to Mommy's to mind was RESCUE.



Another passanger was Ann Elizabeth Isham. She died too trying to help one of US.
One passenger, 50-year-old Ann Elizabeth Isham, reportedly refused to leave the Titanic without her Great Dane, which was too large to put in a lifeboat. Isham's body with her arms around her frozen dog's body, was later found floating at sea by a recovery ship. This picture was taken of the dog that she couldn't live without.





TITANTIC DOGS: In a rare photo of the Titanic's interior, three dogs sit on the ship while it's still in Ireland, days before it departs on its tragic final voyage. (Photo: Widener University)


Now for the exciting part. 20 of ATDR's charges found their furever homes last month including 2 seniors. There is a speical poem sent to Mommy by Ms Mimi after Ginney's picture. Mommy agrees with Ms Mimi, her next dog is gonna be a senior.





























ONE BY ONE


One by one, they pass by my cage, Too old, too worn, too broken, no way. Way past his time, he can't run and play. Then they shake their heads slowly and go on their way. A little old man, arthritic and sore, It seems I am not wanted anymore. I once had a home, I once had a bed, A place that was warm, and where I was fed. Now my muzzle is grey, and my eyes slowly fail. Who wants a dog so old and so frail? My family decided I didn't belong, I got in their way, my attitude was wrong. Whatever excuse they made in their head, Can't justify how they left me for dead. Now I sit in this cage, where day after day, The younger dogs get adopted away. When I had almost come to the end of my rope, You saw my face, and I finally had hope. You saw thru the grey, and the legs bent with age, And felt I still had life beyond this cage. You took me home, gave me food and a bed, And shared your own pillow with my poor tired head. We snuggle and play, and you talk to me low, You love me so dearly, you want me to know. I may have lived most of my life with another, But you outshine them with a love so much stronger. And I promise to return all the love I can give, To you, my dear person, as long as I live. I may be with you for a week, or for years, We will share many smiles, you will no doubt shed tears. And when the time comes that God deems I must leave, I know you will cry and your heart, it will grieve. And when I arrive at the Bridge, all brand new, My thoughts and my heart will still be with you. And I will brag to all who will hear, Of the person who made my last days so dear.
















Gotta go now. Mpmmy is crying now so we better go give her some kisses and hugs.......besidesm its way past a dinner time.



{{{huggies}}}.....Mona



Sniff ya later.......Weenie

5 comments:

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

I am so glad that so many have found furever homes!!!

A MilShelb Mom said...

We are very glad that all those pups have found homes!!

Mom says she would not have left that ship without us either! (Of course, Mom can't swim so we wouldn't want to be stuck with her on a sinking ship! BOL!)
~Milly and Shelby

K9 Katastrophie said...

My mommy is crying too. Such a sweet poem. And about the Titanic dogs. Charlie Brown and Rachel are so cute!

Mommy has a confession: After her first baby, Sophie, died she purposely sought out a young dog. She didn't want to go through a death soon again. Now she wouldn't trade me for anything and is super glad she got me but she realizes now that it was wrong to discriminate.The pain of short time with your dog because they are old is worth it. "It hurts so much because we care that much more". Mommy says that when the time comes to adopt another dog she will purposely take an older one. They need us desperately. The pain of loosing them is worth giving them a happy ending.

Licks,
Ruthie

Angels Amber and Max DaWeenie and Mom said...

Tears and more tears! Happy tears for all those who were adopted last month and sad tears for the victims of the Titanic..both 2 and 4 legged.

We'll be getting over to the Chip In later on during the week.

Two French Bulldogs said...

Love your a titanic dedication
Benny & Lily