May 8, 2009

MOMMY'S FLOWERS,HARNESSES AND THE ATHRITIES WALK



QUOTE OF THE DAY:



(courtesy of Abby)



"A home without a DOG is as strange to me as a house without any windows." ---- Anonymous


Hi dear friends,



Mommy told you last night about the flowers, I sent her for Mother's Day with the help of my aunts Tina & Chris. I just knew I could count on them to help me make Mommy happy and they did. Well here they are. Aren't they pretty?










Sunday is mother's day as we all know, but Mommy said she wanted to get me something special because I am her baby after all and I'm the reason she is Mommy. My Aunt Judy makes harnesses for DROH to raise money for them and so Mommy asked her to make me a special harness. Mommy has a lightweight blue jean blouse with beads and flowers that she could only wear of casual Fridays at work and she decided to have a harness made out of it for me. I guess you could say she had one but now it's mine.


My new harness



I have lots of harnesses that Aunt Judy has made for me but this one is special because it was Mommy's shirt. When Mommy finally decides to load the Spring Fling pictures, you will see lots of harnesses on a lot of dogs and most of them Aunt Judy made. BTW....she raised $420.00 at this years event. WOW!!




Here are some of her creations. She doesn't charge DROH anything to make them and buys all the fabrics herself. 100% of the proceeds go to DROH.



















































































CUSTOM HARNESS & LEASHES



Check out Conway, Bridget and Rex in their stylin' harnesses!



Judy and Elaine, two retired ladies, starting making these harnesses and leashes and donating the proceeds to Dachshund Rescue of Houston. Now it is just Judy doing all the work. She is biggest money maker DROH has.



The use of a harness protects a dog's neck and back and helps keep its trachea from being crushed while pulling on a leash, and these harnesses are much easier to put on than those currently available in stores. They are completely washable and very durable. They will fit and can be used by any small dog, not just dachshunds!



If you are interested in learning more please go to:
Now we want to tell you about a event coming up that is very near and dear to my Mommy's heart. THE CLEAR LAKE ARTHRITIS WALK is being held Sunday May 17, 2009 and this year it going to be very special. DROH has teamed up with Arthritis Foundation and the theme is humans and dachshunds both fighting this dreadful disease. My Mommy has it plus nerve damage in her back and there are times she can barely walk and can't stand for more than 10 minutes without having to sit down. The exciting part is that DROH has a team, so for 38 walkers, and each walker gets to bring one dog to walk with them. Mommy can't do the walk but she can man our booth and cheer on our team. Of course I get go too.

Here is the link to the event.



Here is the link to DROH's team.




How did we get involved in this worthy cause?





Because of a sweet little dachshund girl named Wendy!!





Here is Wendy's story.

2009 Bay Area Dog Hero
WENDY

Wendy is a quirky and "crookedy" little dachshund saved from sure demise by Dachshund Rescue of Houston (http://www.dachshundrescueofhouston.org/) . When she first entered the program, she could barely stand alone, but with good nutrition and proper exercise, she can now comfortably walk a mile on those crooked little legs. In fact, she'll be walking the 1 mile course for the Arthritis Foundation on May 17th. As with her human arthritic comrades, she continues her routine of swimming, walking and proper eating. Wendy has beaten the odds of former neglect and future pain, and proudly partners with all the participants in the 2009 Arthritis Walk.
Wendy's human Mommy has this crippling disease and it was her idea that brought this all together. She's walking and if Wendy doesn't feel up to walking she has a little red wagon she can ride in. There will be lots folks to help her along.
Hope everybody has a wonderful weekend. Love, kisses and {{{huggies}}} to all.......Mona

13 comments:

NESSA the hovawart said...

Wooow, those harnesses are just beautifull and for beautifull cause!!
Your mommy was surely delighted about flowers she got. Good job!
Love and kisses,
Nessa

Abby said...

Hi, Mona & Mommy...

Oh...You used my first Spring Wildflower picture...Thanks!!! And, my Mom says the quote is perfect - she can't imagine our home without me...

Me & my Mom just checked out those great harnesses...We love them...I know they would be really comfortable & they look like they are really sturdy...My Mom says she thinks she is gonna do a little shopping soon...

You guys do such great work for DROH...You help sooo many of our Furfriends...

Abby xxxooo

Dexter said...

That is one spiffy harness.
You did great choosing the flowers for your mom.

Slobbers,
Mango

ZOOLATRY said...

How very fashionable everyone is! Sure to be cover girls (and guys)
for DOG-VOGUE.

Happy Mum's Day to all...

Your friends, Maggy and Zoey

Raising Addie said...

OMD those are gorgeous flowers!!!

Your new harness is just beautiful!! That was very nice of your mom to share her shirt with you. That makes it super special!

We need some cool harnesses for Hailey! We will have to pick some fabric that will look super cute on Hailey!

Oh we wish we could walk with you sooo much! If we only lived a little bit closer we could see you all the time!

Chasing My Tale...
Addie, Lucie, and Hailey

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Those flowers inkhluded lots of my mom's favourites!

Your new harness is just the khoolest!

Khongrats on all the great work your furamily does fur the other khanines out there!

Happy Mother's Day to your mommy!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

The Luke said...

Happy Mom's Day to you and your the Mom! And thank you so much for kind words on day of my surgery. Me and you got lots in common!!!

Lots more to say but my Internet is out till repair dude comes this afternoon (keepin my paws crossed) and I postin by iPhone.... But for now, I say...

I love your blog and how you support rescue! And that is the most beautiful and special harness ever!!! :-)

Wif love from the Luke

Stanislaw said...

Those harnesses are beautiful and they look so comfy!

We wish Wendy a wonderful walk!

Lorenza said...

Hi, Mona!
Sure it was nice that your Aunties helped you with your present for Mommy!
Your new harness is pawesome! Made with your Mommy's shirt!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Oh my gosh...what bootiful harnesses, Mona!!!!!

We want to wish you and the Mommy a very Happy Mommy's Day tomorrow!!!!! We know how much she loves you!!!!

Barkin' at ya, Mona!

Laciegirlie

Anonymous said...

OH what beautiful flowers!

Love your new harness. All of them are so beautiful!

Good luck with the walk next weekend!

Joe Stains said...

Your new harness is great! I can see why you like it so much!! Judy does a great job on them!

kishiko said...

Hi Mona! I am back!
Your new harness is great! It is beautiful!
I found your wirehaired brother Siskle. He is pretty! Say hello to him!
Hugs
Matilda